Friday, June 12, 2009

Rangitukia to Gisborne (Tatapouri)

Being the most eastern point, you can expect to see the sunrise. So early in morning, not knowing the direction we got a bit loss and did not make it to the Sunrise Point, we went almost to the beach that we horse trek the previous day however there is a long river so we are unable to cross without the horses. The sky was not too good as it was too cloudy so even you went to the correct location there is no sun rise to see...

We had a chance to see New Zealand longest wharf at Tologa Bay and it looks like a very long pier to me though. Then knowing the last person to get on the bus had to sing, we did go all the way to the very end of the pier because we don’t want to run all the way back. This singing can be a little torturing…

The most Maori association I felt is the visit of this Marae, where the movie “Whale Rider” was being filmed. There is rich culture of the Maori that was shown on the cravings of the buildings, paintings, weaving and cravings on the wall of the meeting house. We had to learn a Maori Song for this visit and it goes like this:

Pai mai to reo Aroha Your voice of love reaches
Ki te pa o Aotearoa The town of NZ
E nga Iwi o Aotearoa The people of NZ
Haere mai, Haere mai Welcome, Welcome

Titiro Ki nga hoi a Look to the soldiers
Kua wehe nei departed hence
Aue te Aroha alas the love
Me te mamae and the pain

E nga Iwi o Aotearoa The people of NZ
Haere mai, Haere mai Welcome, Welcome
Haere mai, Haere mai Welcome, Welcome

At Gisborne, due to high tide and snowing, so activities like stingray feeding, rock sliding, shark cave diving were not available. Our driver, Renee then brought us to a Cider brewery to taste some cider and of course those interested bought some ciders to drink over the fire later in the night.

Gisborne is the first place in the world to see the sunrise. Having missed the chance previously, we would not let this opportunity slip. And best enough, I get to see the big, eye glaring egg yolk I’ve been longing to see. Being a mountain turtle again, I got 14 pictures of the sunrise, so kiasu…
Of all the places I visit during this East As trip, I like Gisborne (Tatapouri) the best. The feeling of that place is nice, cosy and relaxing. Te Kaha was not bad, but the dorm we stayed in was like those refugee camp, where 20 people live in a room (I know refugee camp is worse, just that it’s too many people). Then at Rangitukia, it wasn’t exactly the farm stay we expected and I was a little disappointed. To make matter worse, we met 2 inconsiderate people in this trip. First, one girl already occupied 2 beds, but she still put her wet towel and shampooing bottles on jas’s duvet making it wet. But she got exchanged her duvet with jas. Next, they put their food bag at the back of the car and their milk bottle was not screwed on tight enough and it spilled out. Me, being the unlucky one, got the milk spilled on my backpack. I was damn frustrated at that time, because milk will turn sour and sink, then thinking I got to unpack everything and repack again, I got even angrier. Fortunately, my bag pack was waterproof, so I only need to damp a cloth and wiped off the milk on the outside. Think this is one of the cons if you are travelling with a lot of people in a group, as it will also affect your mood too.

Later I will fly to Christchurch and start my South Island trip, cross my fingers everything will goes on smoothly and I see you all in 20 days time…

No comments: