Monday, August 3, 2009

Wanaka to Queenstown




The first stop of the day was to Puzzling World. I had been expecting to visit this place since I read that this place was going to be fun and had quite a few interesting things to do. Upon arrival, I found that I had, sort of, been “conned” by the beautiful description. There are only 2 section or rather 3 areas – the illusion room, the big 3D maze and the cafe. At the illusion room, you can find some interesting 3D , some brain teaser and special effect section. Some of the stuffs are already being widely circulated on the Internet. The 3D maze was quite alright, I think I saw something similar to it on Survivor before, hence it was nothing new. However, I found that the Roman style toilet was rather entertaining and I think our Singapore Science Centre is more bigger and more educating lo... Hmmm, just my thoughts...

Next stop was to the Kawarau Gorge. We were being introduced to the famous Bungy jumping by the AJ Heckett. The video showed us the history, how bungy jump came about and the safety involved. We also got to watch some live action of people actually jumping over the bridge of the Kawarau River. Well, bungy jumping is not my cup of tea, hence it was given a miss...

Before I got separated from the people at the Kiwi Experience bus, we got a group photo at Lake Wakatipu. Queenstown being the adventure capital where you can do a lot of activities like skiing, bungy jumping, canyoning, jetboating, tandem paragliding, river boarding, etc. You may want to spend more time there. I always thought that Queenstown is just a city, not much scenery, but I was actually wrong. At the Lake Wakatipu, you are able to see the snow capped mountains like Coronet, Remarkables and there are forests around. Very pretty...

Then there are two YHA hostel here. YHA central which is just opposite base and the location is very central. The other one is YHA lakefront, the is just in front of the Lake Wakatipu but is almost at one end of Queenstown. Facilities wise, YHA Lakefront is bigger but the toilet at YHA Central is en suite but no hair dryer. YHA central had a television in the room and a makeup table or at leas the room I am staying got all these facilities. The two hostel are just 15 mins away from each other, so depending on what you like, there are lots of choices to choose from.

No comments: